Download 2-page CV
- 2011-2016 Doctor Of Philosophy, Stanford University, Physical Oceanography, Department of Earth System Science, GPA: 4.084/4
- 2006-2010 Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours), Australian National University, Physics, First class honours 95/100 with University medal
- 2008-2009 Study Abroad Program, University of California Santa Barbara, Physics, GPA: 3.78/4
- 2004-2005 Year 12 Certificate, Lake Ginninderra College, Canberra, Australia, University Admissions Index (UAI): 99.6/100
- 2021-2023 Holmes, R., Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) DE21010004: Mixing and air-sea coupling in the Pacific: Toward better El Nino forecasts. AUD$440,185
- 2021-2024 Hogg, A., England, M., Morrison, A., Spence, P., Bennetts, L., Babanin, A., Holmes R., Hobbs, W., Shakespeare, C., Toffoli, A. and Evans, B., Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP200100406: Building Australia’s next-generation ocean-sea ice model. AUD$1,161,512
- 2018-2020 D. Whitt, S. Bachman, R-C Lien, W. Large and R. Holmes, Simulations and analysis of mesoscale to turbulence scale process models to facilitate observational process deployments in the Equatorial Pacific Cold Tongue. NOAA/OAR Climate Variability and Predictability Program NOAA-OAR-CPO-2018-2005492, USD$572,950
Honors and Awards
- 2020 Consortium for Ocean and Sea Ice Modelling in Australia most selfless contribution award.
- 2017 Nominated by the Australian Academy of Science to attend the Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting in Lindau, Germany 2017.
- 2016 Physical Oceanography Dissertation Symposium (PODS) Invited Participant, Hawaii.
- 2014 AGU Fall Meeting Outstanding Student Paper Award (OSPA) Winner
- 2012-2015 Stanford University Graduate Fellowship Award
- 2006-2010 Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) Scholarship, Total AU$20,000
- 2010 University Medal in Physics, Australian National University
- 2021+ Discovery Early Career Research Award Fellow, University of Sydney, School of Geosciences, Faculty of Science
- 2018-2021 Senior Research Associate, University of New South Wales School of Mathematics and Statistics and Climate Change Research Centre
- 2016-2017 Research Associate, University of New South Wales Physical mechanisms governing interannual and decadal variability in the tropical Pacific ocean. Ocean heat uptake, tropical overturning. Abyssal mixing and diapycnal upwelling. Supervisors: Professor’s Matthew England and Trevor McDougall
- 2011-2016 Graduate Researcher, Stanford University Submesoscale processes, equatorial dynamics, turbulent mixing, ocean modelling.
- 2010-2011 Research Assistant, Australian National University (6 months) Computational polymer physics, two published papers.
- 2010 Research Intern, Australian National University (3 months) Experimental geophysical fluid dynamics; horizontal convection.
- 2006-2010 Undergraduate Researcher, Australian National University Electron scattering experiment, seismology, nuclear physics, affine geometry.
- 2020 Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AdvanceHE, UK).
- 2020 Foundations of University Learning and Teaching (FULT) UNSW teaching problem completed.
- 2019 & 2020 Lecturer, MSCI2001-Introductory Marine Science, University of New South Wales. Taught first two weeks (6 hours of lectures) on an introduction to physical oceanography. Led a four day field trip project. Designed course assessment material.
- 2018, 2019 & 2020 Guest lecturer, CLIM3001: Climate Systems Science, Climate Change Research Centre, University of New South Wales. One 2hr lecture (Earth’s energy balance) and one 2hr tutorial (the El-Nino Southern Oscillation).
- 2019 Guest lecturer, CLIM2001: Fundamentals of Atmospheric Science, Climate Change Research Centre, University of New South Wales. One 30 min lecture on Ocean Circulation and Modelling.
- 2018 Lecturer, MATH5285-MATH3261-Fluids, Oceans & Climate, University of New South Wales. Two two-hour lectures on Rossby waves and baroclinic instability, one tutorial and office hours.
- 2014 Teaching Assistant, Stanford graduate course Atmosphere, Ocean, and Climate Dynamics: The Atmospheric Circulation, Stanford University.
- 2019-present Ph.D. project cosupervisor, Maurice Huguenin-Virchaux, University of New South Wales
- 2016-present Ph.D. project cosupervisor, David Webb, Propagation of coastal Kelvin waves and their impact on Antarctic climate, University of New South Wales
- 2017-2018 Masters project main supervisor, Maurice Huguenin-Virchaux, Mechanisms driving ocean heat uptake and warm water volume variability over idealized ENSO events, University of New South Wales
- 2017-2018 Summer undergraduate research project supervisor , Gideon Kwok, The propagation of Kelvin waves in a shallow water ocean (six week summer project), University of New South Wales
- 2015 Undergraduate research project supervisor, David Webb, Scattering of coastal Kelvin waves at a sharp bend (two month summer project), University of New South Wales.
Administration and Volunteering
- 2019 Session Convenor: Tropical Oceanography Session, Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Annual Meeting, Darwin
- 2019 Workshop co-organiser: Water mass transformation for ocean physics and biogeochemistry. University of New South Wales, Sydney
- 2019 Summer School Co-organiser: Advanced Ocean Modelling Summer School, Hobart, Tasmania
- 2017+ Chief Investigator on National Computational Infrastructure project e14: Successful applications for large amounts of supercomputing resources (12MSU awarded for 2019). Data/SUs manager.
- 2018 Session Convenor: Ocean General Session, Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Annual Meeting, Sydney
- 2018-2019 Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes Early Career Research (ECR) commitee member and UNSW representative. Annual Meeting 2018 ECR day main organiser